Macro Beauties

  • Friday, September 16, 2016
  • By Renjith
  • 0 Comments


Macro photography is the art of capturing small objects in very large photographs. It is extreme close-up photography where size of the subjects in the frame , will be larger than the life size. There are some technical terms related with macro photography.  The lens which is used to take such photographs are known as macro lens , which is of focal length 50 mm or above. Also , there is a term , reproduction ratio , which refers to the ratio of the subject size on the sensor plane to the actual subject size. For macro photos , this should be at least 1:1. Sometimes , it would exceed that limit and it is called as micro photography.

dragonfly



leaf


A photographer who is interested in macros , should have patience while clicking. If you don't have it , then it's very difficult to proceed and the attempt will result in shaken images. I was into macros for very less occasions , as I focused more in nature and landscape frames. Whenever I gave an attempt of it , I faced problem with the moving subjects. The subject used to be flies insects , flowers, plants , and other small creatures. I had to concentrate well so that I should ensure that the camera is not shaking and the subject is not moving out of frame. Even though I haven't used a tripod yet , I would suggest you to use it. Moreover , It's your will which brings you the better outcome. 

hibiscus

gourd tentacle

Small mushrooms

mushroom

When I bought my DSLR (Nikon D3100), it had the default lens of focal length 18-55 mm. Actually It's not enough to get very small objects in the frame. Still , I took some fine clicks with it. Later I bought another lens (Tamron AF )of focal length 70-300 mm , which has an additional macro mode . Then I came out with some better frames , that I believe to be. Most of the photos in this blog post are taken during a Onam season in Kerala , and one or two is from my Kodaikanal trip

style of hibiscus

bougainvillea pondicherry

ant

ants

Overall , The priority has to be given for the patience for this category of art. The theory and the basic terms are just for the purpose of understanding. Begin with practice , macro photography will work out.

You Might Also Like

0 comments